In today's work world, where we expect employers to treat us ethically, a growing number of job candidates (even at the executive level) are facing a huge dilemma - do I take the job offer on the table or hold out for the one I really want?
The Wall Street Journal ran an article January 24 that offered advice from experts on this: "Juggling Two Offers Takes Special Skills." My .02 were included. Although it's easy for all of us "experts" to say what's the right thing to do, until you're facing it yourself, what's most important is hard to define.
One of my local ExecuNet networkers emailed me: "I read your quote a couple of days ago in the WSJ talking about what to do when you get an offer from your second priority employer and have to make a decision. I'm in that position today, and as opposed to letting a soon-to-be-offer go, I intend to take it. It's with (a Fortune 500 company) and is really a pretty good job anyway. Thanks for your advice!"
I hope it works out for this exec. What would you have done?